I can't stop playing, send help! Game is really fun. It has interesting events and mechanics (like storms for example). RNG is painful, but it's also the fun of the game. Too bad source code got lost, but this game is a gem even as it is!
A downloadable game for Windows
The Wastes is an infinite procedural Text-based roguelike with more content than you can shake a stick at, travel through harsh regions, mutant dungeons and warzones in your search for loot and glory or spend your time inside towns or trading with merchants!
Explore the wastes through varieties of regions and sub-regions, deserts, craters, mountains and ruins are the backdrop though some are full of Titan beasts of mutant proportions, some are full of warring factions and some are completely dead and devoid of life.
Randomly Generated Content
Randomly generated content in games these days can be a drag if done badly but in the wastes the random content only works to enrich gameplay, you will find things different across your various playthroughs as the world changes!
- Special Moves including ones that do damage to your own health or match your opponents stats
- Tons of perks that change everything from merchant gold to your ability to play guitar
- Readable Books including some randomly generated ones that come in a variety of conditions, some have burned or ruined parts you can't read and some are special and have golden or glowing text (currently over 336 books and book types)
- Randomly generated towns with every building enterable (in the future this will be the main focus of the game)
- The Loot, Weapons, Food, Drink, Medical Supplies, Misc Junk, Dices, Mystery Bags, Upgrade and Repair Kits, there are so many things to loot you'll never have it all!
Encounters in the wastes
The Game is nothing but encounters and though you may pass similar areas you'll never have a run that's exactly the same with over 200 different encounters to find, from a dancing giant mutant to a cockroach racing ring, there is always something new to find.
- Some encounters will work different and offer different options depending on your skills and perks
- Some encounters will work differently depending on where you are, you wont find merchants in high level regions, but you might find their gored corpses
Last but certainly not least we have moddability, be it the text on the splash screen to the plants/books/food or junk, you can change, modify or add your own items freely, want to turn all books into ascii art, go ahead, want to start the game with a hundred cuts of bacon, why not! with modding and randomly generated content the game rarely runs out of things to do
Follow the games development on our Subreddit
Click download now to get access to the following files:
Log in with itch.io to leave a comment.
Thank you so much mate, always warms my heart to get comments on this dead game. It was once my baby and the depression when I lost it at first was immenese. I'd love to remake the concept in the future though haha!
I love the RNG, sometimes you get super lucky and sometimes you get it terrible but it's just the way of the wastes and you never know haha
This game rocks. Sad to hear the source code got wiped :(
I didn't know about this game believe it or not. I have played Warsim off and on and i can see original inspiration from this game. Its a shame the code was lost. I actually prefer this exploration style of play over running a kingdom play.
Just a couple of questions...
1) Charisma, Luck and Sneak has no values in the Skill points menu, i cannot level these up. is this because from failures you eventually get these skills? like with failing lock picking you can increase your skill, but also can do this when spending skill points too.
2) Are all the regions random? including number counter to clear them?
3) Are the levels of regions how hard the enemies will be to kill or difficulty across the board, eg. picking locks will be harder too etc
Hey mate, I loved the Wastes and appreciate the core gameplay loop more than Warsims personally too.
Unfortunately at the time I never expanded the skill trees, so only the skills with numbers next to them work in game.
As for the regions, yes they are all completely random but at game start the initial loadout are all lower level regions that are super small. This is to ensure the player doesn't instantly get killed off with a bad loadout. After that it's pure luck. There are perks that make it so you get a guarenteed higher minimum of regions to choose from but they are still random.
It's a mix of tougher spawns but also some encounters that are hidden for lower region levels, lockpicking is unchanged though.
Is a save function ever gonna be implemented?
Sorry mate, this games dead in the water. The source code was wiped in an accident years ago.
I wish I could though honestly.
Damn that doesnt sound good. I didnt even think you would reply. But i saw you have another game released which is kind of like this game so i might check it out. Well take care.
It's alright mate, I used to really enjoy this game and I'm always humbled people are still playing/checking it out!
I've got backups of the new game so no chance of the same issues haha, thank you for the support either way :)
Hi are there any cheats for this game. And what do all the diffident editions do. Like (13=Welp Edition, 26=Iquana Bill Edition, 31=Coward Edition, 33=Perky Edition, 35=Super Perky Edition, 66=Dead Man Edition, and 78=All Colour Activated To Change The Color Of The Text) And any others i have not found.
My Blind Friend And I like playing your game.
Thanks in advanced.
Hi buddy, glad you like the game.
Entered into the main menu these will give you special cheats, not required but they do add a new element to the game, mostly added for testing they are there to allow the player to play around
- 13 - welp edition - sets players hp to 50 and stats to 1
- 26 - iguana bill edition - turns the player into iguana bill
- 31 - coward edition - sets players hp and stats higher
- 66 - deadman edition - sets players hp to 10 and stats all to 1
- 33 - Perky edition - 10 perks per level
- 35 - super perky edition - 100 perks per level
- 78 - Colour Selector - Dev tool that allows you to force any colour
- 101 - level 1 forever edition- pretty much impossible to level up
- 108 - Garry Edition - All npcs are named garry
- 404 - Encounter Selector - Dev tool that allows you to force any encounter
- 999 - drugged test - runs the drugged effect
- 1337 - LEET edition - sets players hp and stats super high
- 1007 - LOOT edition - lots more loot
- 555 - $$$ edition - gives you $1'000'000
- 5555 - $$$$ edition - gives you $100'000'000
I found a sort of exploit. The dude that allows you to make a blood weapon and roll ye olde die of disgrace and trade blood for coins, if you get the regen deal-io skill and you sell your blood for the highest amount and then go in and out of your inventory you will regen said lost HP, so you can then sell your blood again and again etc.
Nice exploit, cheers for letting me know. The game source code was lost so it's never going to be updated again unfortunately but I'm glad it's still being played :)
Hell yeah dude, it's very annoying when a fat guy pops out of the ground and one hits you cause you cant run away and your max hp is 135, but it's fun enough to make you never want to stop playing over and over again.
Amazing! Really gave me some much needed inspiration for a few of my own upcoming projects!
Love this game so much!